Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I was parked in traffic awaiting a light to turn green when

Customer Question

I was parked in traffic awaiting a light to turn green when a man using a weed whacker was trimming grass on the sidewalk space between the curb and sidewalk. He clipped a rock adn shattered my back window. Once it happened i got out of my vehicle and noticed the guy had headphones in and didnt even notice what he did. after showing him what had happened i got the info from his company and his boss. They have a 1000$ deductible and my insurance is a 500$ deductible but doesnt cover glass. the Estimates i got are around 400$ anyway for a new glass. The manager of the company has not gotten back to me in a week and Im about to go out of pocket and fix this and hope he repays me. I have a witness that heard but didnt see it actually go through the window since he was in front of my car at the bus stop. Should i go to small claims court or no?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience and look forward to assisting you with this matter today.

First, I suggest you will want to take the estimate to get the job complete and mail it to the company's owner with a letter requesting he make arrangements to pay for it.

In essence, in the letter state something like

Enclosed is a copy of the estimate to repair the back window of my vehicle. As we discussed, your employee was responsible for this damage while weed whacking on such and such date at such and such time

I would appreciate your immediate attention in getting this money to me so I can get this repaired. Otherwise, I will get it repaired and then have no other choice but to bring this matter to small claims court where I will claim in addition to the cost of repair any legal fees that may ensue.

I hope that is not necessary.

Mail this letter certified with a return receipt requested