Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

i am usa citizen and got married 1-1/2 years ago with canadian

Customer Question

i am usa citizen and got married 1-1/2 years ago with canadian resident and have been living with my husband in windsor. I often visit to my parents who live in newyork rochester. i am canadian resident as well.
during my last visit my father got me a leased car for use in usa, my father is co lessee of that car and pay insurance and installments of that car from his account.
I visited My parents last month in april and after a week I left usa and drove my new car to canada for pleasure and had intention to come back after few weeks.to drop the car off in ny.but unfortunately canadian custom seized my car and imposed a penalty $6500. for exporting the car unlawfully. my father made an appeal and assured canadian custom that we dont had any intention to export the car to canada, what options i have now?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Once you have filed your appeal with customs, you now must wait for the appeals process and if you are denied in your appeal, you will then need an attorney to go to court to overturn the decision made by customs and your father will have to come to court to testify that you were not bringing the car into the country unlawfully as it was supposed to be returned to the US and to your father. However, if your father has supplied this documentation to customs, the chances are they will dismiss the case and fees against you without going to court.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”