How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for one relative to sue another relative using

Resolved Question:

Is it legal for one relative to sue another relative using the unsettled estate money? And if so, where does one go to deal with this issue if one doesn't have the finances to hire another attorney. There is an attorney involved that is supposedly handling the estate. I am the eldest child who is asking and have not been consulted on any decisions...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
When you say that they are using unsettled estate money, what are they using it for exactly?

Also, who is suing who and how did they get the money in the first place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To pay an attorney to take a cousin to court -- to try to recover whatever monies that my brother thinks is missing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My brother (who was "appointed" power of attorney by the attorney that my brother hired) is suing a cousin who had contact with my mother (this cousin is not listed on the will -- myself and my 3 children are).


My brother is in possession of accounts and credit cards and I do not know how this all evolved -- not sure that the will is "real" as he got a copy of it but I did not.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Because he has been appointed the representative of the estate, he is allowed to sue for recovery of monies to the estate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Even if he appointed himself -- my mother did not appoint him as they severed relations with each other over a year ago.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
As long as the appointment has been approved by the court then yes. Do you know that the appointment has been approved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have seen nothing other than a letter from the attorney that he hired stating that he was handling the estate and the divisional percentages that will be given to each person.


50% to brother

10% to myself, my two daughters and one son


It also stated that my brother was appointed at the time the will was filed.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response.

Generally, when a party files the will to be probated, the will either names the person who is going to act as the executor, or the person filling will apply to be appointed the executor.

When a person is appointed the executor, or the personal representative of the estate, that allows them to sue others and to use the estate's money to do this.

If you believe that they are not handling the matter correctly, then you can contest their appointment as representative. However, I will warn you, that the lawyer who is acting for the estate is paid out of the estate's money. So any time you contest something, it reduces the amount of money in the estate because the lawyer gets paid from it.

The best thing to do in these circumstances (unless you are talking about millions of dollars) is to keep your disagreements to a minimum so that the estate may be settled quickly and thus the legal fees stay low.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much -- you are right as there are not millions at stake and it is not worth anyone's sanity, especially mine. I guess I just needed to get what I already knew, on some level, straight in my heart -- again, thank you for your time and patience...Jeannie in MinneSNOWta

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.