Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

i got a reckless drive ticket on dulles toll road. i got 82

Customer Question

i got a reckless drive ticket on dulles toll road. i got 82 mile in 55mile per hour zone
i had reckless drive 20 years ago after that i do not have but i have moving violation tickets. what should i do?
should i hired lawyer
or just take driving school class before go court
how can i reduce reckless drive to just speeding ticket
i live in arlington and court is fairfax county.
some one told me if i go court before court date and have pre bargain to reduce charge
how can i do that?
thank you
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, this occured in Virgnia, correct? I ask so I can best research the potential penalties and your most ideal course of action, thank you! And just to be clear, you just received one ticket, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is in virgina and just one ticket but i have previous ticket record

my record is not crystal clear.

Thank you for your follow-up, Jang.

What other tickets do you have on your record, and from how long ago? Did you already do a driving class in the past? If yes, how long ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did not remember very well but i think i have stop sign violation 2 times within 2 years one ticket for using dulles free way ( not relative to business)

and one speeding ticket in 2-3 years,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

long time ago maybe 15 years ago i took drive school class.

Jang,

Thank you for your follow-up. If you took a drving clas 15 years ago, you are still eligible to plea down and request that in lieu of your potential points (or at least some of them). The reason I asked for a time period is because generally using the driving class to lower points and fines is not done with every ticket, just once every 5-7 years depending on jurisdiction.

However in Virginia a reckless driving ticket is very serious. It is considered to be a class 1 misdemeanor. That’s a criminal offense, and it carries, a potential fine of $2,500, up to six points on your license, and even a possible license suspension of up to 6 months and a jail sentence of up to 12 months. This is why retaining counsel in your situation is most wise. While you can offer a plea, doing so via an attorney would be far likelier to be accepted, and consequently far less likely that your license will be suspended or you will be convicted of a criminal offense.

This is the law that governs:

� 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

(Code 1950, �� 46-209, 46-209.1; 1950, p. 880; 1952, c. 671; 1954, cc. 225, 401, 458; 1958, c. 541, � 46.1-190; 1960, c. 510; 1964, c. 266; 1966, c. 694; 1968, c. 575; 1970, c. 521; 1974, cc. 222, 455; 1975, c. 633; 1978, c. 27; 1979, c. 86; 1981, cc. 333, 585; 1985, c. 148; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 608; 2006, c. 301.)

It also does not hurt in your situation to enroll in a driver education class even before you go to the hearing. But you may want to seriously consider counsel.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you how to preagree before court day. I mean reduce reckless to speed ticket

Thank you

Jang,

You generally have to do this by appearing early in court and offering a plea deal to the prosecutor. Or you can hire an attorney who can attempt to contact early and obtain the plea before you appear. But a vast amount (over 99%) are done at the hearing day with the prosecutor directly.

Good luck.