Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

my sewer pipe under the sidewalk in public area was broken

my sewer pipe under the sidewalk in public area was broken because when county installed underground cable. few days ago my toilet water back flow and flood and ruin the basement ceiling and i called plummer and he found out that cable run middle of my sewer pipe . i called county and they told me hired the plummer and fix it and claim to them.
my question is i have home owner insurance which cover sewer problem.
and i reported to them . they told me to fix and send them invoice.
in this case, can i collect money from both party , or just from county which cause problem
also i lost work day. should i claim that too. and i fix temperany to run the sewer line .i paid worker in cash. can i claim this too.
thank you
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You are entitled to your damages, including the cost of the temporary repair and lost wages. But, legally, you aren't entitled to collect twice. Legally, if you collect from your insurance company, under your policy terms, the insurance company takes over your claim and has the right to pursue the city for the cost of reimbursement. And, if you are getting paid by the city, you really haven't suffered a loss, so you should not submit to the insurance company. In reality, since both are offering to pay you, if you collect twice, given the relatively small amount of money, it's likely neither party would pursue this with you if you collect twice. But, you want to be careful with anything you are asked to sign to make sure you are attesting to anything that isn't don't want to have signed something that indicates you haven't collected from the other party when you have.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!