Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What are the laws concerning carrying an unloaded gun locked

What are the laws concerning carrying an unloaded gun locked in the trunk of your car when passing thru from one state to the next.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

There is no federal law that addresses this issue. However, the general rule in every state is that a firearm can be legally transported with a motor vehicle without a permit only by carrying it: 1) unloaded; and 2) locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a separate locked container other than the utility or glove compartment. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, it must be carried in a "locked container" separate from the utility or glove compartment.

Colorado law is a little more liberal that other states. Colorado law allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such a person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105 {2}]. However, most other states require the firearm to be unloaded and in the trunk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Kirk, I will be going thru states from Colo. Neb. Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin.

You should be fine as long as you keep the firearm unloaded and locked in the trunk.