Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If you wrote a check to someone and it did not clear your bank....you

If you wrote a check to someone and it did not clear your bank....you replaced the check with a money order 2 months ago. You have documentation the you sent the money order, they cashed it, and when you sent it-it was over nited. Three days ago-that check just went through my account and cleared after it was suppose to be destroyed. Is there any charges I can press such as fraud?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

You can try to press charges but the police are almost certainly going to tell you "it's a civil matter".

Customer:

So what options do I have?

JD 1992 :

You can talk to the police and file a report but they probably aren't going to pursue it because of a number of problems. If they don't then you can file a lawsuit for breach of contract, fraud, etc.

Customer:

OK-and I will have to do through the court

JD 1992 :

Yes, through the court. How much money was it?

Customer:

$325.00

JD 1992 :

You can file in small claims court for that much and recover that plus costs.

Customer:

Ok-that is what I will have to do then after I get all my documentation back!

JD 1992 :

It is a pretty simple process. Would you like for me to look and see if there is a website in Iowa about small claims court?

Customer:

Thank you but I will just go and file in Dubuque, Iowa once I get it back. You have helped me alot!