Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

my son is 39 years old and is on terminal parole in North Carolina...He

my son is 39 years old and is on terminal parole in North Carolina...He has been released since Sept of last year because he has terminal cancer in th e stomach; colon; and liver. he has no more chemo treatments left to help him and allthis could have been prevented if the doctors had listened to him in prison when he first started complaining...my question is since he has little time left and is still on parole how much trouble will we get into
for crossing the state line...i have contacted lawyers; senators and no response...All i want as amother is to spend the rest of of his time taking care of him...Please tell what i need to do...I am asking as a mother for some help...
Thank you,
Debbie Fike
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I am certainly sorry for you and your son's situation.

If a condition of your son's parole is that he cannot leave the state, then technically if he did, his parole could be revoked and he could be sent back to jail for violating his parole. I can't say for sure whether or not the DOC or probation officer would do that or not given your son's condition.

The safest thing to do would be to file a petition in his case and ask the judge to remove this condition on his parole OR to transfer his parole to the state you're wanting to move to - - USUALLY, a court will transfer parole to another state if it will help either with family support or stability. In this case, it would be to allow you to assist in the care of your son, so the court should be open to it.

But, you're much better off to file a petition with the court and get permission instead of taking a chance and him end back up in jail.