How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

personal injury daycare

This answer was rated:

personal injury daycare

Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your baby!

First of all, such negligence in child care likely violates state laws for day cares. To file a complaint, contact the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning at:

Second, you have the right to file a personal injury negligence lawsuit against the day care. However, these lawsuits do not produce large verdicts unless there is evidence of extreme damages. What I mean by this is that there must be a large medical bill and permanent injuries in order to get a verdict which will be worth much money. The courts do not actually grant awards larger than the actual economic losses you/your baby incurred unless there is evidence of gross negligence. In this case, without any eye witness testimony showing how the cut happened to your baby, you will not likely be able to prove gross negligence.

However, you have incurred economic loss (doctor bills) and the most efficient way of dealing with this would be to first submit the bills to the day care and demand remuneration in the form of a settlement in an amount you feel would reasonably compensate the losses and satisfy the wrong that has occurred. Tell them that if they do not, you will be forced to file suit (and report them to the State if you would rather wait to use this as leverage against the daycare).

If they fail to comply, you could then sue them in small claims court for an amount up to $15,000.00

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I already planned to report this to the State on Monday. You are correct that there are no eyewitnesses of what happened to my baby. However 2 teachers admitted to have noticed the injury but none followed protocol. they were supposed to make an incident report and do first aid and inform the Director, so the Director could have called me. The injury I noticed while still on the daycare's property. I went back inside and asked for an explanation.

No one knows what happened all they know is that something happened.

My husband had to stay home and miss work to stay home with the baby.


The district manager called me and said they are investigating for the next week. I told them I am not sending my child back to a teacher that has been negligent. They told me they do not have enough staff to reorganize so, basically the teacher is still in that infant room.

This is a large chain daycare named KINDERCARE, I just do not understand why they won't at least put the teacher on non-active while investigating.

They offered to pay for the urgent care bill and to take my child to another kindercare down the street for a couple of day's free of charge.

To me that is no option, because it is too much change for my baby in a short period, besides I want to make sure this won't happen to another child as well. It is not solved by just moving my child to another location.

I would like to know who to contact to start a lawsuit.


Thank you for your time.


You are welcome and I understand your concerns and applaud the fact that you want to take action. I agree that it seems strange that they are not going to suspend the employee who allowed the injury to happen in the first place. It also seems strange that they admit that they don't have enough staff in the room to prevent this sort of issue (in fact, I would call that an admission of negligent supervision by Kindercare).

You will want to contact local "plaintiff personal injury attorneys" to speak to about representing you in this type of claim. You can find them by googling, for example: "atlanta personal injury attorneys" and this will bring up a list. I would contact several different attorneys offices and make appointments with a few to see which one you like the best.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.