How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23605
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoon, I currently have a 401K plan with my employer

Resolved Question:

Good afternoon,

I currently have a 401K plan with my employer that holds a balance of 44K. This balance was accumulated over a six year time frame based on a percentage of my yearly earnings as a company contribution and end of year. for example if I earned 100K in the year and the interest rate return on the plan ended at 5%, then the company contributed 5K ( 5% of 100K ) this plan had a 20% yearly vesting as golden handcuffs until year 6 when fully vested ( which I am ). I am going to quit soon and am contemplating cashing out the account since it is not my main saving vehicle. since i'm fully vested am I entitled to the full 44K ??. I understand the tax consequences but from the companies stand point, is the full 44K mine since I am fully vested ??.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you do a direct transfer to another retirement account, you will get the full balance in the account as of the day you leave, because you are fully vested. If you take the cash as a lump sum distribution, your employer will send 20% to the IRS. If you're planning to roll the funds over, that can actually hurt you, because you have to come up with that 20% that was given to the IRS to avoid having those amounts taxed as income.

At the end of the year, if it turns out that you have overpaid and did not owe the IRS that 20%, it would be returned with your taxes, just like with any other tax refund.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK , so just to clarify, If I go to my employer and tell them I want to close the 401K and cash out, They would send 20% to the IRS ( for est. taxes on full amount of 44K = 8,800) and then cut a check to me for 35,200. subsequently at the end of year I claim the 35,200 as income and pay any additional taxes over the 20% if required. otherwise the 35,200 is mine correct??.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Not exactly. They report the full $45,000 to the IRS as income, but they also report that you paid the $8,800 in taxes. If you're not yet 59 1/2, the IRS will charge you a 10% penalty on the full balance that was given to you. That's in addition to the income taxes.

There are some exceptions to the penalty, such as if you become disabled, use the money to pay certain medical expenses, or need to make a withdrawal as part of a court order related to a divorce.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, so to clarify again, I would still receive the 35,200 and then have to pay a 10% penalty. would the 10% need to be paid then or at tax time ?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
The penalty is due by the final filing deadline and can be paid with your tax return (or can be deducted from any refund).
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23605
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

excellent, it seems you have answered all of my questions and I feel more clarity about the issue. Not sure I want to pay that much but I am now clear on my options.


Thank you very much

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad I could I help. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.