Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

I need advice regarding revoking a POA, I am trying to move

I need advice regarding revoking a POA, I am trying to move my mother from Arkansas to Arizona. I am experiencing family battles. Do I need to be with her in order to change the POA. She is competent and in good judgement.

Thank you for your kind assistance

Diana Cordero
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If mother wants to cancel a POA she has given to someone, all she needs to do is draft up a simple statement stating that she is hereby revoking the authority of "Sue Smith" to act as her power of attorney, effective immediately. Once this is signed, dated, and notarized, it has to be personally delivered to the holder of the POA in order for it to be effective. Until it is delivered and the holder has actual knowledge of the revocation, the holder would still have the authority to act for mother.
.
It is also a good idea to deliver copies of the revocation to any banks or financial institutions where the holder may have acted for mother.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to be clear, I personally do not have to be on site?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
No, as long as someone personally delivers the revocation to the holder, it is effective upon delivery. Since I am assuming that mother is the grantor of the POA, there wouldn't be any need for you to be there as it is between grantor and the holder of the POA.
.
If she has given you a POA, then until she revokes the other one, there are two legally binding POAs in existence.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.