Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

my husband had a school loan that got sold to a another company

my husband had a school loan that got sold to a another company some years ago. we finally tracked it down and paid it off. my question is what can I do about the company still reporting late even though they sold it and its been paid off.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Since the company will not resolve this, you want to go through the credit agencies directly. Once you dispute it, the credit reporting agency is required to investigate the dispute by sending it back to the creditor or collection agency for verification. If the creditor or collection agency verifies that the account is being reported correctly, the negative information will stay on your credit file. If the creditor or collection agency never responds to the investigation, then after about 30 days, the credit reporting agency must either delete the report from your file or report it as not being delinquent. If however they fail to do so, you will then want to file to get a court order and then send the judge’s order to the credit agency to get it removed. If you are forced to seek a court order, you also want to ask the judge to award you not only actual damages, but also punitive damages against the company based on either their malicious intent or gross negligence in their failure to delete it.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I truly appreciate your kindness!