Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Joint financed car, now paid in full, still has my name on

Joint financed car, now paid in full, still has my name on the title.
Car is in boyfriend's possession, I do not drive this car, nor am I on the insurance. Boyfriend has taken off with car and is accruing parking tickets which come to my house in both our names. I do not have possession of the pink slip. How do I get my name off of this car title so I am not responsible for his actions. He is bipolar and has been in a state of mania for about a month and won't consent to do anything. What are my options to protect myself?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You have the option of filing a lawsuit against your boyfriend to force him to pay for any tickets that you wind up paying because of his behavior. You can also ask the judge to order him to either pay you half the value of the car (and take your name off the tile/registration) or to order that the car be sold and the proceeds divided.

If you want to just give him the car, you can file a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability with the DMV. But he would have to agree to accept the transfer, and the two of you would both sign the title so he can register the car in his name only (the form protects you in the event that he doesn't register it). You wouldn't be able to file the form until you've taken steps to transfer ownership.

If you think it would help if you had a copy of the title, you can request a duplicate. The primary benefit to that is that, if you ask the judge to order him to sign it, you have the title right there. Or, if you know where he is, you can try to go to him with the title, sign it, and ask him to sign it as well.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.htm

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.