Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Legal Expert
19305272

if you ask a question to a lawyer and reveal that you did something

if you ask a question to a lawyer and reveal that you did something elligal are they obligated to report it?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

No, if there is an attorney client relationship, the attorney cannot reveal confidential and privileged information unless it is something that places the client's or someone else's life in imminent danger (such as a client saying "I'm murdering person x tomorrow."

TMcJD :

If it's just an illegal activity that the client admits, the attorney is prohibited from revealing that information except to protect someone from harm or death.

JACUSTOMER-264btdjr- :

ok so what about on here if a question is asked and illegal activity is revealed will you be obligated to report it?

TMcJD :

No, there is no obligation for anyone to report a crime but experts here could if they wanted because there is no attorney client relationship (and, therefore, no confidential or privileged information).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but things that are reported would most likely be something more on the lines of someone making a harmful threat or something?

Yes, something where a person's well being or life is endangered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

anything else like say someone had questions on texting with someone who is 17 will that get reported?

No, if you enter an attorney client relationship, the attorney cannot reveal that type of information. And just FYI, people ask questions about stuff like that online here at JustAnswer all the time. And, again, there is no confidentiality, attorney-client relationship, or privileged information here at JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i guess i am just asking what are the possibility of someone reporting a question like that on JA

No likely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So your saying really unlikely?

sorry, yes not likely at all. I've never known something like that to occur.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks i will rate you thats all thanks again