How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i closed my auto repair business 4/1/10 contacted rubatino

Customer Question

i closed my auto repair business 4/1/10 contacted rubatino garbage pick up on closing business recieved letter on 3/25/13 saying i owe 1774.67 last payment 5/9/11 i wasnt even there at that time i have my pay stub showing i started working for another company from 4/1/10 till present dont know what to due someone told me about statue of limitations law its been 3 years not a letter till now from collection agency i dont feel i should have to pay i was in lease with 2 other companys could they have reopened my account under my name and kept paying till 5/9/11 then quit also i cant see i have to pay there garbage bill if not there any idea what to do have 30 days to contact collection agency thank you andy
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you were not using their service, you certainly are not responsible to pay, especially when you notified them that you were closing your business down.

Can you tell me more about how you notified them that you were no longer going to be in business at the location?

Have you contacted the actual garbage pick up company to ask what this is about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i have not contacted them yet due to when i had my business and turned them over to collections the customer would come to me and i would tell them its out of my hands call collection agency... i notified them via phone call someone was using the dumpster because collections said last payment was on 5/9/11 i was out 4/1/10

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

First, the original holder of an account can always stop a collection by informing the debt collector that the account is settled or was invalid when transferred for collection.

You need to inform the garbage company of the same.

You do this by sending a certified letter to the debt collector telling them that (1) the debt which they are attempting to collect is invalid as it is for an account which was cancelled with the garbage company on ______(date); (2) the garbage company failed to close your account and must have carried it over to the next occupier of the premises, which is not your responsibility; (3) they need to immediately stop all collection efforts and stop contacting you. If they do not, you will sue them under the FDCPA (Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act).

Copy the garbage company on this letter.

In the end, the only way to stop a false collection is to (1) allow the statute of limitations to run (which is 6 years in Washington State); (2) dispute and allow the collector to sue and then you defeat the claim in court; or (3) you file a FDCPA claim and a Declaratory Judgment action which proves that you do not owe on the account and that they are wrongfully collecting.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so send letter to collections telling them about fdcpa and quit contacting me and send similar letter to garbge company

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Just copy the letter from the collection company to the garbage company. I would wait about 1 week after delivery and call the garbage company and demand that they straighten this out immediately.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you for your help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i did what you said and recieved letter yesterday saying sorry for the troubles and that debt is cancelled, and will not here back from them said check my credit report in few days should be cleared up if not contact them and they will fix. thanks for your help andy

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.