Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Have a question on courtroom basics -- inside the courtroom

Have a question on courtroom basics -- inside the courtroom I know there are two tables. In a hearing that is on a motion for withdrawal of counsel, where would the client(s) be seated generally... and even if the motion is not opposed. Would the parties normally sit at separate tables?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

This is really a matter of local rules set by each court. Further, there are times when a court will have more than 2 tables in it at which counsel may sit.

At a hearing on a motion, such as a motion to withdraw as counsel, there are generally no set rules on where the attorneys sit. The only rules which control where the attorneys sit is when the trial begins (then the attorneys need to sit at the two different tables).

The parties need to sit behind the bar/railing in the audience sitting unless accompanied by an attorney or unless called forward by the judge. This will be true unless a party is representing themselves, in which case, he/she may sit on the attorney side of the bar/railing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK... attending the hearing is lawyer and the client. However, the lawyer is there to withdraw... so would it be customary in this type of situation for the two individuals to still be sitting next to one another or at different tables?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
It depends on whether they are in opposition to each other. If the client believes that the lawyer is wrongfully withdrawing, then they may want to sit at different tables. However, again, there is not a set rule governing this sort of thing.
TexLaw, Attorney
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting to you. Thank you for requesting me it seems the other expert was able to post before I could get to you.

Regarding your situation that we have been discussing. Since you are contesting the withdrawal, when the case is called you will step up in front of the court, you on one side the attorney on the other. The attorney will present his reasons for withdrawing from the case and then because you are filing an objection you would have the right to present your objection on how this is going to cause you material prejudice to your case before the judge decides. You will be on opposite sides of the aisle in front of the judge's bench and each of you will stand to address the judge.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law