Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

An anonymous letter was left on my car harassing me. Walmart

An anonymous letter was left on my car harassing me. Walmart has video of who left it. They wouldn't show me until I filed a police complaint. The sheriff who came watched the tape and they won't let me see it. They said the image is blurry and they couldn't make out a license plate number but they could tell the make and model. They won't show me any images it video! Should I be able to see them? Am I allowed??

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

You don't have an automatic right to see it. You could file an Open Records / Freedom of Information request and see if they will turn it over to you but they usually don't. They will cite an "investigative exception".

JD 1992 :

If you file a lawsuit you can also get it through ddiscovery.

I think the chat function is having problems so I switched this to a Q and A format.