How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a personal services agreement on April 30 at the sellers

Resolved Question:

I signed a personal services agreement on April 30 at the sellers place of business in MD. They were to provide me with 7 referral dates as part of the agreement. They spent 2 hrs interviewing me & taking down information to qualify me for their date matching program. it was high pressure in that I had to sign on to one of their programs their at the office. if I declined I would not have another change to enter into this program. I did in fact sign & paid by credit card $1400 for this program. Later that evening I began having 2nd thoughts about it & decided to call them & let them know I didn't want to start the program. They said there is no refund once you've signed the contract & states so in the agreement. My desire is to pay for the 2 hrs of interview & computer matching time as a fair pmt for getting out of the contract. I was supposed to go onto their website answer some additional criteria & then they would send me the 1st referral date. I did not do this because I wanted out of the contract. I believe they're incorporated in Florida. I was figuring 4 hrs @ $75 per hour would be a fair price for the service they rendered. Do I have a shot at not having to stay in this contract & pay for the service partially rendered? I am a 67 yr old senior citizen in case that would be helpful!

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, this sort of situation is completely controlled by the terms of written contract that you signed. If you sign a contract which states that the payment is non-refundable, then you are generally bound the by terms of that contract.

Since you have already paid them by credit card, the only way to get the money back would be to sue the company for it and claim that the contract was unconscionable and should not be enforced. You could also claim that they were taking advantage of your age (if that is a credible argument). If you actually had to litigate this however, it would cost you far more in attorneys fees than the $1400 you are trying to recoup.

Nevertheless, you could hire an attorney to send a simple demand letter for cancellation of the contract and return of the money, along with the threat of suit. Often this is enough to make a business change its mind and compromise with you, especially where there have not been any services rendered yet.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this something I could take to small claims court & not hire a lawyer if I personally write a letter of rescension to negotiate for the partial services rendered.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately note, a suit for rescission is a suit which an equitable declaration that a contract is not binding and an order to return the consideration provided. As such, it is outside the jurisdiction of the district court when it sits as a small claims court. You would have to file the claim in the general district court to seek this type of relief.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do i file this claim & would it be in MD or FL?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
You would file it in Maryland, although the company may attempt to dismiss the case and move it to Florida if the contract has a term in it which calls for all disputes to be litigated in Florida (or in an arbitration).

The way to initiate a claim is to file a petition with the Maryland circuit court (I misstated earlier) in the same county as the business. A suit for rescission is not an ordinary run of the mill kind of lawsuit, so there may not be many forms out there to help you. However, the complaint will follow the general format you can see here:
You would take out all the "Count"s and just replace them with Count 1 - Rescission and then state why you believe the contract should be rescinded.

Then you take this to the circuit court clerk and file it with the court, filling out the forms for service of process on the Defendant, and hiring a process server to do this.

It's not a simple matter at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any idea on the cost to hire the process server?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
They generally charge around $75-115.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the agreement they agree to arbitrate any disputes arising out of this agreement. The venue to be in Tampa, FL . and governed by the FL arbitration code.


I guess this means i would have to file this claim there?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if the contract states that then you will have to abide by it until there is a declaration by a court that it is not binding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what would you do if you were me?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
It's hard for me to say because I didn't go through the experience that led you to change your mind and don't understand all the facts.

I can tell you that you have a hard argument to win based on what you've told me. The high pressure sales tactics and your change of mind are generally not something a court is going to find adequate to let you out of the contract. The law allows it in circumstances that I've described (the contract is unconscionable, etc). But this is really something that a lawyer needs to handle to do correctly. Trying it on your own is likely only going to result in dismissal because the other side will simply file motions and cite case law and it will be very difficult for you to respond.

Further, your argument is based on an assumption that they put you under pressure and made you sign and you did not really know what you were getting into. This would undercut by you representing yourself and making sophisticated legal arguments.

That being said, I wouldn't give up. I'd send a certified letter and threaten them and see if they will negotiate with you.

Is there anything you feel like they misrepresented to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess not. How would I threaten them in the letter? Is there a time limtation to do this, like 3 days or something like that?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
You are thinking about the 3-day Right to Rescission Rule. Many people get confused about that. It only applies to home sells contracts, construction contracts, and credit contracts.

Send it and threaten litigation, but give them 15 days to respond. Then every day they've received the letter, call them and ask if they have decided to give you a refund.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.