Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am looking for PaulMJD, if he is on. My question is- I have

Customer Question

I am looking for PaulMJD, if he is on. My question is- I have sued a neighbor over blocking my easement property which was a turnaround for my vehicles. I live at the end of a dead end street. A supreme court judge ruled in my favor and order the removal of all obstructions, including their gravel driveway. Now they have 30 days to appeal. I thought you could only appeal a supreme court order if there was a wrong doing not just because you lost. I wanted to know, do you need permission to appeal and how long might this drag on before we get the answer. the supreme court judge said our easement is a legally recorded instrument that cannot be disputed since they took the property in 2007 subject to our right of way.
thank you,
Dee
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and for coming back asking for me.

A person may appeal any final judgment and to appeal they have to raise either reversable error or abuse of discretion. People make up all sorts of alleged errors to appeal and in the appeal if you prove the appeal is frivolous then you can seek attorney's fees for the cost of the appeal and you need to request if they appeal that the Supreme Court order an appeal bond to cover any attorney's fees for the frivolous appeal.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me how long this usually takes? Does the appellate system give notice of whether they will allow the appeal quickly or will this hold up my judgement until the appeal is settled? I guess they only have to June 3. But I was hoping the obstructions would have to be removed by then.

Thank you for your response.

Generally, if they appeal, you have 30 days to answer the appeal so that is 60 days from date of judgment. Then depending on how busy the appeals division is when they get the appeal, it could take 3-12 more months and any damages you suffer during that time you can file a motion in the appeals court to award you if their appeal is found to be frivolous.