xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

how many utilities are the landlords required to pay in south

Customer Question

how many utilities are the landlords required to pay in south salt lake city utah
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Are you the tenant or the landlord?

Do you have a written lease?

When you say "utilities," do you mean gas and electric?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be the tenant, it will be a lease.

The Utilities are gas, electric, garabage, water and sewage

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi Theresia,

Thanks for the information.

I want to look up a few things. I will be back asap with an answer for you.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.

Your lease will govern who will pay the utilities (gas, electric, garbage). Your lease may require you to put those utilities into your name for the period of the lease and you would be responsible to pay for the utilities. Or, your lease may read that your landlord is responsible to pay those utilities.

Regarding water and sewage, the municipality requires that the bill be sent to the property owner. However, again, the lease that you negotiate with your landlord may hold you responsible for payment. Or, the lease may indicate that the landlord will pay the water and sewage bill.

In short, it all depends upon the language of the lease. You must make sure that you read through the lease. If possible, take it home for a day or two so that you can digest the information in the lease. That way, if you have any questions, you can then ask the landlord before you enter into the lease.

There is a GREAT resource called the "Renters Handbook." Below is a link to the site. You should read through each section BEFORE you read and/or enter into a lease with your landlord. The Handbook is VERY informational.

http://www.utahlegalservices.org/public/self-help-webpages/utah-renters-handbook

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Xavierjd

Many customers have asked how they can specifically direct a question to me in the future. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "xavierjd” in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

xavierjd, Attorney
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.

Hi Theresia,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,

xavierjd