Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

my 17 year old grandson was arrested at school charged with

my 17 year old grandson was arrested at school charged with harassment and domestic abuse for hugging an ex-girlfriend supposedly there is video tape but we were not allowed to view it This officer has also harassed my grandson at schoool several times nothing has come of it.
I was there for the arrest he was never read his rights He has a bad shoulder that dislocates and had an appointment to see the surgeon the next day even though she was informed of his medical condition she still handcuffed him causing his shoulder to dislocate. I had to take him to the doctor the next day after he was released to get his shoulder put back in place and get him some pain pills
Is there anything that can be done to file a suit against this police officer

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

Yes, the parents of the grandson could hire a lawyer and file a civil rights suit on his behalf.

JD 1992 :

In the end, almost every case involving injuries while in custody boils down to a civil rights lawsuit although there will certainly be other causes of action thrown in.

JD 1992 :

The lawyer will also need to send what is known as a "notice letter" to the police department soon since there is a very short period of time to do so (months) and if he doesn't then it can waive all or a portion of the causes of action.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please don't issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.

Customer:

should she have read him his rights

JD 1992 :

Probably so, but the only thing that affects is whether or not any evidence gathered afterwards is admissible.

Customer:

so police officers should inform the arestee of the charges and read them their rights when the arrest is made

JD 1992 :

Yes, a defendant should be advised of their rights after an arrest.

Customer:

do you have any suggestions as to a lae firm her in norhtern colorado to talk to

Customer:

sorry law fim

JD 1992 :

No, if you go to www.lawyers.com and look for a lawyer that practices civil rights law they should be able to help you. You can search there by location and area of practice.

Customer:

great thank you

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

I think im good for now thank you

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you.

Customer:

thank you

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

JD 1992 :

Bye!