How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for me to buy a property in the US (I am a foreign

This answer was rated:

Is it legal for me to buy a property in the US (I am a foreign investor) only ofr investment (I will not occupy it at any point) and do my own home improvements in it (cosmetics only) or do I have to employ someone that can work in the US. Please state the exact law if there is one that prohibits me from doing my own work. (I will mostly resale properties in Florida, specifically Pinellas county).

Thank you for your question.

It is perfectly legal for a foreign investor to own property in the United States under the Foreign Investment in Real Property Act. The law also allows you to perform your own construction work on your property.

Your plan is legal.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's weird because I am getting different answers, does this apply if I never actually live in it. Since I am flipping the properties, I have been told by someone that I cant do my own work there since it is considered a business.

Would that apply? I'm just double checking since I'm hearing different opinions.

Unless you are rendering services for remuneration from a US entity, you are not required to obtain a visa.

Thus, coming in and doing work on your own property while on a tourist visa does not violate the terms of that visa because you are not "working" for "remuneration" (i.e., you are not being paid for the work). You are simply improving your investment, which may or may not result in a profit to you down the road when you sale the property.

Now, your investment may actually serve as a basis for a visa should you actually desire to have one.
TexLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the rating and the bonus!

Please let me know if you need anything else and I wish you success in your endeavor in the United States.

TexLaw and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you