LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.

My dog was killed this week in a kennel in Brunswick County

Customer Question

My dog was killed this week in a kennel in Brunswick County NC. My dog was put out to play unsupervised with 3 other dogs, one of which is a pit bull. This dog jumped on and killed my dog. The kennel owner has taken full responsibility for this accident. What are my legal rights in this case and can you recomend an attorney to represent me in NC?
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I would like to assist you with you question today.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pet.

North Carolina is a state that only allows an owner to recover compensation for the replacement value of the dog, reimbursement for veterinary services, and other costs related to the injuries. North Carolina law does not allow compensation for an owner’s emotional bond with an animal or for the intrinsic value of the animal.

A North Carolina Court of Appeals decided a case last year that addressed how determine damages when a pet died as a result of the negligence of a veterinarian. Shera v. N.C. State University Veterinary Teaching Hosp. North Carolina --- S.E.2d ----, 2012 WL 539989 (N.C. Ct. App. 2012)

You may want to contact the Gerber Animal Law Center in NC to have them advise you about your specific case.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.

I enjoyed answering your question a few days ago regarding pursuing damages for the loss of your dog. I just wanted to contact you to see if you needed any further assistance.

Also if you have not yet rated my answer, please do so. This the way I receive credit for my work.