Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was involved in a multicar bender fender accident involving

I was involved in a multicar bender fender accident involving 4 cars to my knowledge. The accident happened on a fwy going 20-25 mph. The first car stopped (not sure why) then the 2nd car was not able to stop in time and hit the 1st car from behind there was a 3rd car behind the 2nd car that managed to change lanes in time to avoid the collision and sped into the off ramp and left I was behind that car that managed to avoid the collision and luckily I was able to stop in time and not hit the 2nd car but unfortunately the car behind me hit my bumper. When all four of us pulled to the side of the road we all pulled over in the arrangement of which we all stopped on the fwy. I was the 3rd car in this series. I discovered there was a 5th car that was the 1st car in the parking order. We all exchanged information and decided that the accident was minor that we would not report it. Nor did we get a police report because it was so minor. Now the 1st mystery car who I just discovered was in the accident has reported it to his insurance and claims he was the 3rd car in the series of this bender fender.. he was not.. I was! when we all exchanged information he was clueless as to who he hit and even asked the driver behind me who he hit.. since I hit no one and the driver that hit me we managed to resolve this by not reporting it since it was minor.. am I obligated by law to give my information to this mystery 1st car that I did not see or claims to have been the 3rd car and now even claiming to be in front of me! my insurance information ?? I decided not to give my insurance information to this person or his insurance agent he was confused at the time of the accident and I have no idea where he came from or where his car was in this series of accident the person who hit me says he was not behind her.. Please advise if required by law that I need to report to my insurance??
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Why do you wish to withhold the information from your insurer, so your rates will not increase?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I figured that the accident was so minor and nothing happen to my bumper but just scratches that it was not even worth reporting and going through all the hassle. I doubt it will increase if I was not at fault and I did not hit anyone.. also the car that was initially in front of me that managed to leave in time is my proof that I was 1 car lenght away from the 2nd car which is why I did not hit it also the driver who hit me also seen that car leave the lane in time..

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Angel.

To answer your question, no there is no law which requires you to report the accident to your insurer. However, if there are any injuries or the vehicle damage is $1,000 or more, then it must typically be reported to the police and the DMV. Since this does not appear to be the case, and you did stop immediately, it does not appear you did anything legally wrong.

Here is a link which summarizes the law with regard to accidents:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/

However, because one of the drivers is now alleging that he incurred damages and could potentially file a lawsuit, you may wish to report this to your insurer if you have full coverage since they would normally have a duty to defend you if a lawsuit is filed. This would typically save you the cost of attorneys fees. Ultimately, the driver asserting the claim should not prevail since there appear to be plenty of witnesses to testify as to what really happened, but you could be saddled with significant costs and fees if you must defend yourself in a lawsuit.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help!

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Angel.

Good luck to you and take care!