Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is there a law in NY governing how much of a deposit I can

Customer Question

Is there a law in NY governing how much of a deposit I can ask for for building a website for a business? I'm told I can't ask for more than 1/3 down then 1/3 a the begining and 1/3 upon completion. Is this true?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
I have researched this in the NY General Municiple Statutes and don't see anything that would specifically limit the amount that can be paid in advance of performance on a contract. This makes sense to me since this is a matter of private contract between the parties and they can agree to any type of payment arrangement they want to.
.
If the person you spoke with has a particular ordinance or statute in mind they can cite, I will be happy to look into it further and give you my thoughts. But I don't see anything that would limit this type of private agreement and I think they may be stating that just to steer the negotiations their way...
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much.

Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
.
Thanks