How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I consigned my collection to an art dealer. She and her husband

Customer Question

I consigned my collection to an art dealer. She and her husband came to Omaha NE to collect the collection. The contract was signed there.

Communication with this dealer has been difficult. Two lots were sold and I was paid but no documentation about the sale was sent to me. I have since, they took the collection, been unable to contact the dealer by phone, only getting voice mail, email communication has also been difficult--any answers I got were basically excuses for not answering with promises to answer in full later which never happened. For the past four months I have been unable to contact by email or telephone and my contract expired on 9 March this year. I repeatedly have written asking to discuss what has been happening. Recently I have told her that I will not renew the contract and want the collection to be sent back. But I am unable to get any response. Even her husband who assisted in taking the collection is unavailable--I am only able to leave voice mail messages but also send him cc of my email to his wife. He is a museum curator but I can oly get his voice mail with no results.

Many thanks for any ideas you might be able to give me. jpc

The contract was signed in Omaha Ne, she operates out of NY but now has no official gallery. She lives in another state where her husband works.

Do you have any idea what move I can make to retrieve my collection--or proceeds from any sale. The collection was valued at over 250,000 usd.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Do you happen to have a copy of the consignment contract handy that you could scan into and either attach to your response or email to me?

If so, please do, or send [email protected]

Attn: ZDNLaw

Your options on what you can do will be potentially limited by the contract.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
If you are able to email it to me, please let me know in a response so I can keep an eye out for it. Sometimes it takes a while to get to me from reception.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just saw that I did not attach the attn:ZDNLaw. I have re-sent the letter. Sorry for the mistake. jpc

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
No problem. I'll keep an eye out for it. The website is set up so that I cannot give you my personal email, so I have to wait for it to go through the system and get to me. This means it sometimes takes a few hours to get to me (and might even take overnight).

As soon as I get it, I will review it and then respond back to you with some options that we can discuss.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
I've reviewed the documents you have sent.

Even though there was no final document sent to you, the fact that the document speaks to the terms of the agreement, states that the parties have agreed to the terms, and is signed by both of you is sufficient to form a contract.

The long and short of it is that there is no period of time which obligates Koo to return the painting to you. Thus, you will need to formally terminate the agreement and demand return of the unsold art.

You should start by sending a formal letter, delivered by certified mail return receipt requested, or by Federal Express with delivery confirmation. In the letter you need to state:

Dear Koo:

I am writing to provide you with formal notice that the Art Consignment Agreement between us is terminated as of the date of this correspondence.

I have received commissions on the sale of the following pieces:


Thus, you are still in possession of:


I demand that you immediately ship the remaining pieces listed above to me at _____________________.

Because you have failed to keep me informed of your progress of the sale of the art I consigned to you, and because you have refused to be forthright with me in the communication and accounting regarding the consignment, I am forced to demand that you return these pieces at your own expense within 30 days of your receipt of this letter.

Should you fail to do so, I will have no other choice but to initiate legal proceedings against you.

Signed ( by you)

As you can see, your only true course of action is to make a formal demand and then if it is not complied with, you must initiate litigation against Koo.

The fact that you signed the contract in Nebraska is not likely going to be good enough to establish jurisdiction over Koo in the courts of Nebraska. You could attempt it, but might face a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction. This would add to your legal costs in the end.

Rather than file the suit in Nebraska, it is better to file the suit in the state where she lives. That way you know that there will be jurisdiction over her, and you will likely only have to travel to the state on 2 occasions (one for a deposition if requested, and two for the trial if reached and not settled). A high percentage of litigation settles.

Because you are talking about some very valuable property, you would need to hire an attorney to handle this matter for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. What can I do if she refuses to accept the registered letter.


Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
I was thinking that might be the case. That is why I suggest sending the letter by federal express. A letter by federal express does not say who it comes from and will be handed directly to her. You need to choose the option for signature confirmation. In my experience, I've found that people are much more likely to accept these rather a certified letter.

In the end, she may simply refuse to cooperate and you may have to sue her. It's really up to her as to how painful this has to be, as this is a sure win case for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Has my payment been made and how can I give you a tip for your fine service. I initially clicked excellent service at your first quick response but did not leave a tip at that time intending to do that when I received your advice and when I clicked it again after your advice was received it did not give me a choice to tip you.

Many thanks for your assistance. I hope this mess can be cleared up without a major problem which would do no good for anyone. I don't know why they could not just communicate with me. I did confirm that the major painting was on exhibit in March so as of that time it was still in her hands.


Many thanks for your help. jc

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm not certain on how the tip function works on your end.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.