Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I received an email from my apartment building today. "Hi Vickie, Hope

Customer Question

I received an email from my apartment building today. "Hi Vickie,

Hope all is well! We were wondering if you would want to switch your garage stall with stall 17? He has a handicap sticker and was wondering if he could park in your stall 16. If so that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

I moved in November 2012. We have assigned parking.
The spaces are next to each other only mine is a handicap spot.
The couple are older, no canes or wheelchair. If I
change spots it would only get them 3-5 steps closer.

I guess I am wondering what my options are. I really do Not want to change spots.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

If you are handicapped and you need to be closer then don't make the change. You are under no legal obligation to do so

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not handicapped. I was assigned this parking spot from the leasing office. It is in my lease agreement. Can the leasing office make me change? Can the handicapped couple who have asked the leasing office to contact me about making the change do anything?

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I see. Thank you.

I suggest yes, if they need the handicap spot for a true handicap person, they will have to or risk a lawsuit by that couple for not having the proper handicap spot available. It seems as though they are giving you an option and opportunity to be nice about it, but they can take it away as long as they provide you with another space.