How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a new 2013 Axis Special Edition Recon model A20

This answer was rated:

I purchased a new 2013 Axis Special Edition Recon model A20 (Malibu) wakeboard boat. The factory specs and written contract had a Monsoon 350 SS fully multi port injected engine. The boat they deliveded has a carborated injected Monsoon 330 SS.

The dealer said this was a factory (Malibu) error and they wanted to offer me money to just accept the boat the way it was delivered.

I don't want the boat the way it is.

I'm now paying for a boat and insurance on a boat that doesnt match the contract.

What are my legal options?


Thank you for your question.

Have you actually accepted the boat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they delivered it last Saturday. I opened the engine compartment last nigh to winterize it due to a storm hitting today. I called the dealer (last night) after seeing the engine and he asked me to take a picture and send it to him (I did). He responded today that I was correct it is the wrong engine and they offered me a small amount of money to accept the boat the way it is. I declined their offer. Thats why I'm looking for guidance.


Under the law, which is controlled by the Colorado UCC, when a buyer receives goods which are non-conforming to the order, the buyer may reject the goods by providing notice to the seller. At that point the buyer's obligations with regards XXXXX XXXXX goods rightfully rejected are terminated. The buyer must hold the goods in his possession.

You need to send a written notice to the dealer of rejection of the boat as non-conforming and demand for either replacement of the boat with the correct boat and engine, or a cancellation of the contract and return of your money.

If they do not cooperate, you have a lien on the boat for your payments made and the costs of storing the boat under Colorado Statute Section 4-2-711(3) and may apply for the title to the boat and resell the boat to recover your damages.

Your letter should cause the dealer to provide you with conforming goods or to terminate the contract and return all the payments to you. Send the letter by certified mail return receipt requested.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The lender has a lien on the boat, right? How would I apply for the title to the boat and resell to recover my damages?

Your lien on the boat would become secondary to the lender's lien on the boat under the Colorado UCC. You would still be entitled to sell the boat, however, the proceeds would pay off the lender's lien prior to paying off your lien.

As that is the case, you could also hold the boat in your possession, send a letter terminating the financing agreement/purchase agreement to the lender and the dealer for non-conformity and then sue for the cost of cover (i.e., the cost it would take you to purchase the boat you ordered from someone else).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sure gets complicated in a hurry. I hope they just get me the boat I ordered. It may take 6 weeks to get a new one. Can I use the boat that I have in my posession until I get the new one? Thank you

It certainly does.

You cannot use the boat at all. Use of the boat means that you are accepting the boat.

You need to keep the boat in a garage or under a cover and not touch it or run it or otherwise use it until this is resolved.

You can also return the boat to the dealer for them to take care of if this is an option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ran the boat for three hours prior to finding the discrepancy! I notified the dealer immediately after and parked the boat on my boat lift where it sits right now.

If they do not know that, then no one is the wiser. You do not have a duty to disclose it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your guidance. Look me up if you are in Colorado and I will take you wake boarding. Cheers, Dwight Houser

Thanks Dwight. I hope this works out for you!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.