Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I hired a unlicensed contractor to remodel my kitchen. He asked

Customer Question

I hired a unlicensed contractor to remodel my kitchen. He asked for payment every 2 days. The end of the 4th day I paid him and told him I was unhappy about several things he had done. After examining things he had done I called and told him I was unhappy with his quality of work and that it did not meet what we had discussed. I also told him he had way too many hours in for what he had done and I could not afford him to do any more work. I then stopped payment on a $525 check. He's now calling me and coming ro my house wanting $545 cash immediately. I sm a 61 year old widowed girl, who while during all this remodeling, is on the couch recooping from back fusion and broken knee cap.Please help if you can...God Bless
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
How much did he bill you for in total?
.
How much did you actually pay him?
.
How many hours did he claim to have worked in that period?
.
Did you have any type of written contract that set out what was to be done and the price?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

$1300.26 total bill. First check after second day was $775.26 which included $75.26 in materials he supposedly had to get and 14 hours of labor for 2 men @$50 an hour. When he came back third day both me and my boyfriend told him we were not happy with the way he had done some of the work and it needed corrected. He said ok but did not fix. On day 4 they worked slow,slow slow, and when questioned about things got defensive. he told me he could do electrical work but after many hours he could not figure it out. End of day 4 he gave me bill for $525 which was Thursday and Fridays hours of 10.5 for 2 m3n @ $50 hour.

Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Ok, under FL law, if he is unlicensed, then he can be found guilty of unlicensed contracting under FL Statutes 489.13 and be fined up to $10,000. In Florida, it is a criminal offense to engage in contracting work or to otherwise act in the capacity of a contractor without a valid Florida contractor’s license. Contracting without a license in Florida is a serious criminal offense and can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the number of prior convictions and whether the offense occurred during a state of emergency.
.
So with that said, you can call the police on the person if they come to your home and then tell him you will contact the FL Dept of Business and Professional Regulation and file a formal complaint for him being an unlicensed contractor and let them handle any criminal prosecution. That should make him rethink pursuing any additional money.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.