Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Im being sued by a collection agency for a hospital bill that

I'm being sued by a collection agency for a hospital bill that my insurance refused to pay.
What can I expect? Should I settle and for what? Can I take care of this myself as I do not want to add anything to the high cost of this already, or is that not advisable?
Do you owe the debt, and if so have you tried to negotiate with them a payment plan before now? If so, what was their response?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do owe the debt and did negociate, but they had me pay $400.00 a month but charged 10% interest per month, so every month I would owe more

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I really would just like an answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Why do I not get an expert in this specific field to answer my question?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
New expert here...
.
Has the collection agency actually filed suit yet?
.
Have you been served with a summons and complaint for the debt?
.
What is the total amount of the debt they are claiming?
.
Do you have assets like property or savings and are you employed?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They have filed suit and we have been served with a summons
The amount is $106,000.00
We own a house, but it is heavily mortgaged
We have no savings
.
If they have already filed suit against you, then they may not be interested in settling the debt. However, you can always contact them prior to any court hearing and make an offer to settle for some percentage of the amount owed. I don't know how old the debt is, but the older it is, the less it is worth. If it has been sold to a third party debt collector, then they may not have paid very much for it so might be willing to settle for much less than the claimed amount.
.
Another tactic you could also use is to tell the creditor that this will force you into bankruptcy if you can't come to a settement you can afford. They know that they get nothing if you actually filed bankruptcy so this can be a good bargaining tactic.
.
But if they won't work with you at all and they get a judgment, if there is not much equity in the home and no savings, about the only thing they could try to do is garnish wages to collect. And even then, filing bankruptcy is always an option to extinguish these debts.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs