Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I recently purchased a car without a drivers licence in the

I recently purchased a car without a driver's licence in the state of Indiana. The dealership knew that my licence had been expired for over a year but they allowed me to drive off of the lot with it. After purchasing the vehicle I learned that I got completely ripped off, but figured it was my own fault and there is nothing I can do. However, the dealership has contacted me and said that it is urgent that I get a valid driver's licence. I know that it is illegal for a dealership to allow me to purchase a car and drive it off of their lot without a valid driver's licence, but are the legal consequences significant? I would like to use this as leverage to negotiate a better deal.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

It is actually not illegal to purchase a vehicle without a valid driver's license, it is illegal for them to let you drive off the lot without a valid license and it violates the loan agreement regarding having a valid license and insurance, which means you can be in breach of the finance agreement. The legal consequences are not really significant, since this is a contractual issue with the lenders they do business with and not a state or federal law violation.

The right to buy and own a car has nothing to do with your driving privileges. Thus, they made a mistake on the financing to allow you to drive off without a valid license, but the fact is that once you signed the contracts, you bought the car and they should have insisted you have a licensed driver drive off the lot.

Under the law, a used car sale is considered "as is" and without any warranty unless they gave you a written warranty to the contrary. A new car has a warranty for defects which the seller must repair or if it cannot be repaired they would have to replace or refund. However, the courts hold that once you signed that contract of purchase, you became bound to the deal and the dealer is under no legal obligation to renegotiate I am afraid.

What can happen if you do not correct the license issue is the lender can call the loan in default and seek to collect the loan in full or repossess the car until you comply and provide either a valid license or proof that the car is driven by and insured to a legally licensed driver. Thus, actually the potential consequences are on you and not the dealer for you not having the valid license I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law