Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was badly injured in an accident. A judge with dept. of social

I was badly injured in an accident. A judge with dept. of social services went through my medical records and decided I was permanently disabled. I get a very small disability check every month. Am I still obligated to repay my student loans?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Have you been formally declared to be totally and permanently disabled?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Ok, then you can apply for a Total Permanent Disability (TPD) discharge if you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity due to your disability and the disability:
.
can be expected to result in death,
has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months,
can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months; or
has been determined by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to make you unemployable due to a service-connected disability.
.
To apply for this discharge, you must have a physician certify the discharge application.
.
This is a link to the general information on TPD and link to the application:
.
http://www.disabilitydischarge.com/Pages/General.aspx
.
http://disabilitydischarge.com/Pages/Users.aspx?id=35
.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.