Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

can a contractor put a lean on my house for 10K then sue me

can a contractor put a lean on my house for 10K then sue me for only 4K, what can i do about this. Just received a judgement for 875$ what now?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The contractor can place a lien for the actual cost of the work, but can end up foregoing that full amount because they chose to go to small claims/justice court instead and there is a maximum they can sue for in small claims. If they sued for only $4000, they cannot go after the remaining $6000. Also, if they got a judgment for $875 against you, then the judgment has to be paid and they have to file a release of the lien and if they refuse you can sue them for damages for maintaining a now invalid lien. If you received the judgment in your favor (your question was not clear on this point so I will give both answers), then the lien must immediately be released and you would do so by filing a motion and order to release lien in the court and they will issue the order which you would file with the recorder of property records.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i find out on here or for free if i have a lien on my property?

Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Texas

I apologize, but this site does not provide lien checks as that is not something this site has access to.