Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Denial of refinancing loan. Felt it was due to age as soon

Denial of refinancing loan. Felt it was due to age as soon a birth dates were given.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did the lender provide you with a reason as to why your application was denied? What leads you to believe that your age was a motivating factor in denying the loan?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Initiallly received letter from QuickenLoans/Veteran Affairs guaranteeing us a refinance loan with a rate of 3.5%. By phone we provided detailed information including social security numbers, etc. Our credit scores are in the 800's. As the conversation progressed and they asked for more information, birth dates for myself and my wife were provided. The mood changed immediately and the caller informed us that they would be unable to process our loan.

I see. Thank you for the additional information, James.

The Equal Opportunity Credit Act prohibits discrimination in lending on the basis of age, so a denial would typically violate that federal statute.

Since you otherwise appear to be well-qualified and were pre-approved, and the lender did not provide a legitimate reason for denying the loan, you may wish to file a complaint with the US Department of Treasure, Office of the Comptroller. Here is a link to their site which summarizes the law on this issue:

Here is another link to their site to file a complaint:

Or you could retain a local attorney to represent you in pursuing legal action in this matter.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you recommend a discrimination lawyer in the Lakeland Florida area?

Hello again, James.

The terms of service we both agreed to in using this site does not permit me to provide specific referrals, but the state and local bar associations should be able to provide referrals for you.

Here is a link to the state bar association's attorney referral page:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We have no further questions and assume that this issue was considered in the free trial. Therefore, we assume that the $36 will not be charged to our account.

Hello again, James. It has been my pleasure to assist you.

I am a user of the site like you and do not have access to your account information or what you may or may not have paid.

I do know that I am not compensated unless you provide me with a positive rating and I would appreciate that. For information regarding your account, please use your "help" button to contact customer service.

Thank you and good luck to you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by going to your “My Questions” page and clicking on “Request Tina again” next to my photo. I look forward to hearing from you.