Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Sprint gave away my business phone number without telling me.

Sprint gave away my business phone number without telling me. I didn't find out for six months and I lost numerous clients. That number is XXXXX my website, business cards and advertising. I want it back. Is that possible
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Was the service paid for by you and up to date or had service been cancelled?

Why did they give away your number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pay for service on the phone, but they changed my number without contacting me. I don't know why they gave my phone number away. I spent half a day on the phone with them and they couldn't give me any answers.

Thank you for your response.

If you have been paying for the number and the account was current, then Sprint is in breach of contract and had no right to give the number to anyone else and is liable for returning the number to you and the damages they have caused you in breaching their contract with you.

You are going to have to calculate your damages and your business losses resulting from the change of number as best you can do (using prior month's and year's sales to make estimates or statements and testimony from customers).

You need to start by making a written demand on Sprint outlining the issue, the fact you had a contract for service, the length of time you had the number, where it is used for your business (web, business cards, advertisement etc) and then describe the damage their negligence in giving your number to someone else has caused and demand they return your number to you and compensate you for your losses caused by their negligence in breaching the contract.

If Sprint refuses to settle this matter, you would have to use a consumer protection or general litigation attorney and file suit against them for their breach and the damages they have caused.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”