ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

Hello, I am a licensed attorney. I wish to give legal advice

Hello, I am a licensed attorney. I wish to give legal advice to a person who has asked me to do so. I have not formed a special legal entity for the practice of law.

I understand that a legal entity not formed for providing legal advice cannot be used to provide legal advice. Is that correct? If yes, what are the necessary next asteps? I love and would give advice in Illinois. Could I simple provide the advice as a sole practitioner without forming a separate entity? I realize liability would then affix to me in my personal capacity.

BTW I do have a non-lawyer, business consulting practice I am operating as a sole proprietorship. In that venture I give business management advice, and specifically state I am not providing legal advice.

Many thanks.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Yes, you could certainly give advice as a sole proprietorship. In Illinois, specifically in the Rules of Professional Conduct, “Firm” or “law firm” denotes a lawyer or lawyers in a law partnership, professional corporation, sole proprietorship or other association authorized to practice law; or lawyers employed in a legal services organization or the legal department of a corporation or other organization.

ScottyMacEsq :

If you're licensed, and operating a business (even if you don't have a DBA, tax ID, etc...) then that would still be a sole proprietorship, if you're doing it for compensation. It would be better to have your law "firm" (advice) business in a separate legal entity, to separate out liability. But assuming that you're a lawyer, you can absolutely provide legal advice.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!