Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son is getting a devoice and his soon to be ex-wife and

Customer Question

My son is getting a devoice and his soon to be ex-wife and father are asking questions of local merchants if he has used a charge card for gas or liquor. First of all can they do that and if not how can it be stopped.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

There is no statutory privacy duty or right in merchant purchases, which means that anyone can ask anything about purchases from a merchant. The merchant should not be turning over any charge slip records, since those credit card numbers ARE protected by a duty of confidentiality and can only be obtained by a subpoena from the court for the records and if the merchants are turning over this information the merchants can be sued for breach of the duty of confidentiality of these receipts and card numbers. Unfortunately, they can continue to ask the merchants questions and the merchants are free to answer or refuse to answer, it is up to them.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”