Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

In Maricopa County, Arizona I have received an electronic minute

In Maricopa County, Arizona I have received an electronic minute entry indicating that a Superior Court Civil Arrest Warrant has been issued for me. This is a spousal support issue; I am behind in the amount of more than $100,000 but have no regular source of income at this time and for the past 14 months. In the past I made payments but never in the amount I had agreed to initially.

The court has previously rejected my plea that I wasn't in right mind when I agreed to the payment arrangement's in 2009 and I did make the mistake of not using an attorney but worked with her attorney. I reside with a partner in California who takes care of living expense. I also am deemed handicapped by the State of AZ and California

Can the arrest warrant transfer to California?
I had notified the Court I would not be at the hearing due to my lack of financial resources to fly or drive there. Also I have indigent health care and am waiting for knee replacement.

Purge payment request is $30,000. Judgement ordered against me in the amount of $68,000 plus interest. Monthly payments of $5,000 plus monthly of $1,000 for back payments.

Any recommendations or thoughts? I don't want to be arrested as I have been a white collar worker all my life. I feel the need to answer and have been representing myself. Thank you.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
.
If this is a civil bench warrant, then no, it wouldn't transfer to CA. If it was a criminal warrant, then it could because it would be entered into the NCIC national database. But civil warrants are only good in the state where they are issued. So as long as you don't travel back to AZ, the bench warrant wouldn't be enforced.
.
As for payments, if you don't have it, then you simply don't have it. You can't pay something you don't have so about the only thing you can do is seek employment and stay out of AZ until you get this straightened out.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Barrister. Do you recommend that I answer the court with additional information that is contrary to what they've been told? That would be that I didn't purposefully not attend the hearing, that I don't have a sum of money hidden somewhere and that I do have medical reasons to not be working? I don't suppose a court can force you to work right?

To be very honest with you, you can respond if you would like to, but it is unlikely the judge would read anything you sent unless there was some type of court date already pending.
.
If this is a continuing support obligation, you could file a motion in AZ to reduce or terminate it based on your "change in circumstances", but it sounds like you may have already tried that back in 2009. And you would have to return to AZ and very likely be arrested on the bench warrant if you did..
.
But no, the court can't force you to work whether you are medically unable to or not.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Barrister.

There is an order in the minute entry that says an Oral Argument Hearing is set for May 20th. Since I will not attend or send an attorney would you recommend that I send an answer before that hearing or for that hearing? I feel like I agree to my "guilt" if I don't answer.

Yes, if there is a new date pending, then it would be a good idea to at least respond in writing stating your reasons and explanation of why you are unable to comply with the agreement. To be very honest, it likely won't affect the outcome of any hearing, but it will at least get your side of the story on the record.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.