ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Good Morning,,,I am looking to find an answer please. And I

Good Morning,,,I am looking to find an answer please. And I will make the appropriate payment. My question is, my brother with his second wife, who is 47 years old, filed for divorce 8 months ago in NH. She is causing a huge problem, by saying my brother hit her,,According to what I found out, in NH a divorce can happen in 2 to 4 months, they were married less then one year,,so the question is,,what is the hold up, if you know,,thank you, ***** ***** know, and has been living with my 84 year old mother, for these 8 months,,canyou help me figure out what is going on in this situation.?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Pearl.
While it's hard to say in your brother's specific situation, most likely it's because of his wife contesting some matter in the divorce. 2-4 months is the minimum time, assuming everything goes well, nothing's contested, it's a relatively simple divorce, and the court docket is not backed up. But change any of those variables and that can increase the time.
This is particularly in the case where the case is contested, or property / custody issues cannot be agreed upon. It might be that she's dragging this out just out of spite.
But to answer your question, it's not at all unusual that a divorce (even an uncontested one) can take up to a year, although uncontested divorces USUALLY are completed within 6 months. Again, it could be a number of those factors that are causing the delay. These cases can run 2-3 years if majority issues are disputed and depending on the dockets of the court.
Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney