Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I sent my HOA plans for a shed and concrete driveway along

I sent my HOA plans for a shed and concrete driveway along with a question about a retaining wall. the agent came to my house with the approved shed docs and told me that i didnt need the plans for the driveway approved, she answered a few questions about landscaping and the retaining wall. before she left i re-iterated that i planned to widen the existing driveway and concrete it. she said no approval was needed (she had my detailed drawing in her hand), so i ordered the $10K job and within 2 weeks i got a letter saying that i had to remove it and that i was in non-compliance, signed by the same person who was at my house. do i have any choices?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Yes, you do have a big choice. Once approved, the HOA cannot rescind that approval. Thus, if the person who came out and approved the improvements is now trying to rescind that approval, you have the common law defense of waiver, since they told you no approval was needed and they had the plans and you reasonably relied on their approval and did the work.

You need to send a letter to the HOA board as well as this woman and explain that you provided her detailed drawings and also explained the improvements to her and she approved and stated the driveway needed no approval and you were reasonable to rely on her approval and do the work. Thus, you are now claiming that by her telling you no approval was needed for the driveway when she was told and actually had the plans, the HOA has waived their right to now demand removal and if the Board does not grant a waiver based on her conduct, you will proceed to court against them based on her approval.

This is the only option you have, as you do not want to remove something the HOA is going to be forced by the court to grant you a waiver on if the HOA board is not smart enough to know that their agent was the one who caused this and cannot now try to force you to remove what they said you could install.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

i am hoping that my wife can resolve this over the phone but i need some back up just in case. i have the e-mail that we sent to them with the plans to the concrete. and i am hoping that this doesn't go any further. i know now that my ccr's say that i cant park in front of the house but it is just barely and i dont want a court case. they took pictures. what proof do i have other than the e-mail and my word that she was here?

Thank you for your response.

The fact is that she had the plans and approved the project or you would not have been able to start. Once she gave you the go ahead, she is stuck with that approval and while you may not want a court case, it would be cheaper than losing the money you paid for the improvements. But before you get to court, you would still file an appeal to the HOA board arguing for a waiver based on what occurred. Most boards will grant such a waiver (unless they are just real complete jerks, and there are many of those on HOA boards) in this type of situation.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law