Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

ra-es

Customer Question

Is there a way to negotiate a lower impound fees, bring it down, request a discount, if I'm unable to pay upwards of $1500 since I don't have a large amount of savings and I need to get my car out? It's been over the time limit already, of 30 days.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

What is the current market value of your impounded vehicle?

Do you have any type of auto loan related to this vehicle?

Have you contacted the impound yard and tried to negotiate some type of a lower / reduced amount that you can pay to get your car out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

7500

Yes. 8,000

Yes, but the owner was rude and told me not to call again, that I had called too much. (i called only 3 times to make sure my car hadn't been vandalized.)

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if the owner of the impound lot is not willing to negotiate a settlement and you do not pay the impound fees and pick your car up within 30 days, the owner can place a mechanic's lien on the vehicle and your auto finance company will be notified and will likely pay this impound fees and then will sell your vehicle at an auction, holding you personally responsible for any amount of the difference between what is owed on your auto loan, plus any fees and costs and what the car is sold for at the auction.

So unfortunately, there is no legal way to force the owner of the impound lot to negotiate a settlement, if the owner is not willing to do so.

I am very sorry that you are in this unfortunate situation and I wish that there would be some other legal option for you, but unfortunately sometimes the options are very limited under the current law and I am afraid this is exactly the situation here, under the limited facts that you have described.

I wish you the best of luck!
I have provided you with a correct and accurate answer and I am sorry that my answer is not favorable to your situation, but the law is the law, and I have no way of changing it.

Please do not the fact the law is not favorable to me personally and please let me know why you felt my correct answer was poor service and also please let me know what additional information are you seeking at this time or what related follow up questions do you have?