Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

just one my edd appeal. Now Im eligable for ui benifits. I

just one my edd appeal. Now I'm eligable for ui benifits. I recieved a letter today regarding a phone interview. They want to know why they did not recieve my claim form on time. I just got a part time job. Will I still get my ui benefits if i pass the phone interview. And will my new employer now be responsible for the ui benefits, considering I am still in the process of obtaining benefits.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Congratulations on obtaining part-time employment. If you are now part-time, your unemployment benefit may be lowered and affected based on how much you work part time. Here is a great summary of all benefits and requirements, including your requirement to continue to look for work, as well as an explanation as to how your benefits may be lowered due to part-time employment. The new employer does not take over your current ui benefits, at least not right away, you would need to first work there long enough to obtain minimum level of benefits from the employer to apply and obtain such benefits directly.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im still in the process of obtaining benefits will me getting a part time job for like 10 hours a week jepordize my ui claim with my former employer?

Thank you for your follow-up. My apologies if I was unclear.

Any part-time employment that you obtain can affect the amount you receive from unemployment. While it cannot affect your eligibility, it can affect your check amount if you are found eligible for benefits. Depending on how much you earn part-time it may lower your full unemployment benefits that you will receive from the state if you are found eligible. So while it will not jeopardize your claim, it can financially affect it.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I have not had my phone interview yet regarding the late claim forms and now have a part time job does that mean I wont get ui benefits under my old employer considering im not technicly approved for benefits yet?

Thank you for your follow-up.

I am sorry but that I cannot tell you with specific detail. For part-time employment your benefits are still based on the full amount that you are entitled to based on past unemployment. For example, let me assume that based on your past employment, you are entitled to a check of $400 a week of benefits. You now work part-time and make $350 a week. Your unemployment benefit may still be sent to you, but it would be a partial benefit--if for example the regulations state that unemployment benefits lower your amounts received by 50% after each $100 earned, then the $250 difference would be split in half, and that half would be withheld from your check. Instead of receiving the $400 check, you would receive a $275 check and your $350 check form your part-time employment.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ui claim that I am about to get is for ui benefits will I have to submitt a new claim for partial ui benefits since I got a part time job? Right now edd ows me 3 months worth of benefits since I won my appeal but i have one more phone interview before I get my reimburstment for previous months. Did I jepordize recieving back pay by getting this part time job?

Thank you for your follow-up.

My ui claim that I am about to get is for ui benefits will I have to submitt a new claim for partial ui benefits since I got a part time job?
No, you will need to disclose your weekly income to the unemployment agency and they will calculate and potentially reduce your weekly benefit automatically.

Right now edd ows me 3 months worth of benefits since I won my appeal but i have one more phone interview before I get my reimburstment for previous months. Did I jepordize recieving back pay by getting this part time job?
No, you did not. Past benefits that may be owed, provided you were not working during that point, can still be awarded. Benefits going forward, if you are employed, would be potentially reduced based on the amount of time and the amount of money you receive as compensation.

Good luck and kindly do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so that I may obtain credit for assisting you this evening. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is their a ui code that I my use in my defense in order to receive back pay for this situation? I appreciate you helping me out this evening.

Thank you for your follow-up and you are most welcome.

The Califoria Unemployment Insurance Code resides at the link below:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/uic_table_of_contents.html

You can find the specific calculations on how the benefits are evaluated, and also the length of time from which to which you would be entitled to receive benefits. I would be happy to try to clarify further, but this is the whole code that you were likely seeking.

Good luck!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.