David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
19551178

in texas are court proceeding transcripts the property of the

in texas are court proceeding transcripts the property of the court reporter? my friend called to get a copy of the court reporters transcript and she wanted like $700.00.
can the court reporter charge whatever price she wants for it?

David C. Garner :

Hello, are you there?

David C. Garner :

Hello.....

Customer:

hi

David C. Garner :

Hello....

Customer:

i see ur typing

David C. Garner :

A transcript (or more directly the record of a court proceeding) is a public document. However, much like a police accident report, the court or the reporter can charge for production of a transcript. It covers the cost of the production. They can't charge whatever they want, but it is based on size. I am sure there is a pricing scheudle somewhere.....

Customer:

my friend got one proceeding copy and it cost 165, then the second hearing one she wanted 700 for.

David C. Garner :

As to the difference, I don't know. I would ask the clerk directly. Perhaps one was longer or something.

Customer:

the clerk or the court reporter?

David C. Garner :

The clerk of the court. If you can ask the reporter directly, do that. In come courts the transcripts go through the clerks.

Customer:

the clerk sends him to a room in the back of the courthouse to talk directly to the court reporters.

David C. Garner :

Ok. In that case I would inquire about the difference. If it is the same transcript in all respects, I would think it should be the same price.

Customer:

ok tell him to ask for a price guide.

Customer:

i will tell him

Customer:

thx thats all

David C. Garner :

Something like that. To answer your question directly, yes they can charge and no they cannot charge whatever they want. As to how they compute it, thats a question for them.

David C. Garner :

I hope this helps.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

bye thx

David C. Garner :

Best of luck to you.