How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best way to get someone to stop harassing me, talking

This answer was rated:

What is the best way to get someone to stop harassing me, talking badly about me in public? This person is a past business partner, soon to be ex sister in law, and informant on a fraud case causing my family to loose it's form of income.

Thank you for your question.

How is the person harassing you and what exactly are they saying about you?

Is what they are saying about you untrue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is threatening calling the cops on me for theft of property, The property in question is a camper that in the divorce decree she filed belongs to my brother, he asked that I keep the camper on my property for storing because I have 40 acres, and he was asked by city authorities to move it from where he had it parked.


She is threatening to sue me with HIPA laws because I gave her a buy out from a pilot car company we owned together. She says that I should not have disclosed the amount of the buyout. There was no clause in the buyout stating that amount was confidential. She is angry at my brother for knowing about that amount and letting the judge in their divorce know of the payout. Buyout was completed December 4, their papers were filed December 23 She is also claiming that I am trying to evade taxes with the company that we shared. I have had the taxes filed by a CPA, no extension. The said CPA filed her tax return also.


In the fraud case she has given information to an entity looking to charge my husband and his business partners with fraud. She was a book keeper for them for approx. 6 weeks, in that time she was never properly trained. and signed an NDA for the company. She is now claiming she never told anyone anything, but has more than once given up information to us from the party looking to charge fraud.


Thank you for your response.

Based on what she said, she has absolutely no leg to stand on in connection with any of the claims she is alleging against you.

A person does have a constitutionally protected freedom of speech which allows this to say alot of things which may be harassing to you, but are legally allowed. However, she crosses the line when she accuses you of a crime and of fraud. Her false accusations are considered defamation if she is making them to third-parties.

The first thing you should do is send her a CEASE AND DESIST letter telling her to immediately cease from all public accusations against you of fraud and of criminal behavior. Tell her that if she persists with these false statements you will be forced to sue her for defamation.

If she is repeatedly calling you the telephone and harassing you personally with these false threats, you need to contact the police and ask for a restraining order for telephone harassment and stalking.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is not talking to me directly in any of these situations. she has spoken to my husband, and my brother. She has not called the cops but is making the threat is that enough or do I need the cops to be called?



One more question for my brother. She is the petitioner, they have not hired attorneys to help with this situation. She has neglected to submit paperwork requested by the judge continually. How does he as the respondent push this along to get it finalized?

Her statements about you to your brother and husband are enough for a defamation claim to be filed against her in small claims court. Go ahead and send the Cease and Desist.

You could also file for an injunction against her to prevent her from further contacting anyone in your family by filing a civil lawsuit in a higher court, but this would require getting a lawyer.

In regard to the question about your brother, if she has violated orders by the judge, your brother needs to file a Motion for Contempt of Court and site that she has failed to obey the court's orders and ask for sanctions against her or for dismissal of the case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the judge dismisses the case will they have to refile for divorce or will that push the agreement she originally filed through?

If your brother also wants a divorce, then he needs to simply not ask for the case to be dismissed (judge will not dismiss it if your brother does not want it to be dismissed).

It will not push the agreement through either. What it will do is push the case forward towards a trial and will exclude evidence which is in her favor.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions