How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, In 1996, due to illness I went on Social Security

This answer was rated:

In 1996, due to illness I went on Social Security Disability Income. I had some credit card debt, I am guessing 4000.00 to 6000.00 range. I can't remember. After 17 years I am getting calls from some agency claiming I owe them 15,000.00 dollars. I understand that there are companies that seem to buy up old debt and then proceed to persecute individuals........Is there not some statue of limitations on this. 17 years!!!!!!
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

What state did you incur this debt in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



The statute of limitations for credit card debt is 6 years in the state of Washington. This is 6 years from your last payment.

RCW 4.16.040

Actions limited to six years.
The following actions shall be commenced within six years:

(1) An action upon a contract in writing, or liability express or implied arising out of a written agreement, except as provided for in RCW 64.04.007(2).

Please beware that if you make any payment at all, even partial that you restart the statute of limitations for another 6 years.

If more than 6 years has passed then you can tell them that you are not paying, period, the statute of limitations has expired. You should do this in writing and demand that they stop all further communication and any possible communication should be only in writing. You can demand they stop calling.

It is also possible that these are thieves contacting you so do not disclose personal information.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Legal and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you