TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I own a home jointly with my husband. I came home from work

I own a home jointly with my husband. I came home from work recently and the electricity was turned off. Not b/c the electric bill was not paid but b/c my husband has a dispute with PECO over the outside electric box. My husband feels the new boxes installed by PECO release radiation that hurts him. I am not in agreement with this. My husband claims he filled out appropriate forms, removed PECO's box, sent it back to them and replaced it with another box. He also provided PECO with an MD note stating he has sleep apnea and needs electricity to run his C-Pac machine and that he will have this condition until he dies. My husband says electricity can't be shut off for any reason if there is a documented medical condition in the home that needs electricity. One day PECO showed up and turned the power off. We have been w/o electricity for 7 days now with no end in sight. I am not in agreement with my husband over these issues. I want the electricity turned back on. I have no lights, heat, refrigeration, cooking ability, washer or dryer, telephone, computer, TV. The house is cold. I come home from work and go to bed b/c it is so cold and w/o light I can't even read. What are my rights in this situation? Does he have the right to make this unilateral decision w/o consulting me, the results of which makes the house unlivable for me. I am just as much the homeowner as he is. What can I do?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello, that thank you for allowing me to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

Who owns the house, and whose name is XXXXX XXXXX electric bill?

VAMD, Esq. :

I see that the house is owned jointly ... so I take it that you're both on the deed.

VAMD, Esq. :

Since your husband is an owner of the house, then he does have a right to take the box off the house without your consent.

VAMD, Esq. :

When two people own property together, either has a right to take action without the consent of the other.

VAMD, Esq. :

If the two people disagree about how to deal with the house, then they need to get rid of the property (i.e., one or both sell their share).

VAMD, Esq. :

Even though you're married, the same principle applies.

VAMD, Esq. :

If one of you does not give in, then the only answer is to split and live separate.

VAMD, Esq. :

(and maybe divorce)

VAMD, Esq. :

Since your husband already took action without your consent, then the ball is in your court as to what to do.

VAMD, Esq. :

You can attempt to take charge, get the box back on the house, and get your husband to accept it and move on with life.

VAMD, Esq. :

If he does not, and he will fight having the box there, then you'll either have to (1) deal with having no electricity, or (2) move out.

VAMD, Esq. :

If you choose (2) and move out, then that open another can of worms with regard to whether you wish to divorce.

VAMD, Esq. :

I'm sorry to give you this news, as I'm sure this situation is quite distressing.

VAMD, Esq. :

The idea of moving out to get electricity is probably overwhelming at the moment.

VAMD, Esq. :

So for that, I am sorry. However, please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response.

VAMD, Esq. :

Does that answer your question?

Customer:

We both own the house. The deed to the house is in both names. My husband

Customer:

We both own the house jointly. Both names are XXXXX XXXXX deed. My husband's name is XXXXX XXXXX electric bill, however, I have been paying the bills and have the cancelled check to prove it.

Customer:

Can the Dept. of Health and Human Services be of any help to me? If I can't afford to leave my house and move elsewhere is it possible they can make a case that someone can't live w/o electricity, especially if the bills have been paid?

Customer:

Is this the end of our chat?

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

Q: Can the Dept. of Health and Human Services be of any help to me?
If I can't afford to leave my house and move elsewhere is it possible they can make a case that someone can't live w/o electricity, especially if the bills have been paid?
A: Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be of much help. Simply put, there is no law that says that a person must have electricity turned on. However, you might ask the city code enforcer to inspect the house, as it's possible that without the box the house is not up to code. In other words, although there is no law that a house must have electricity, it's possible that the local code requires a house to be capable of having electricity, and it's possible that without the box the house would not meet that standard. You should contact the city manager's office to inquire about code enforcement. Of course, you must also keep in mind that if the house is not up to code, then it'll likely result in a warning, then fines. I do not believe that anybody will physically force your husband to get the box back on the house, and even if they did, there would be nothing to stop him from taking it off again.