TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

is it legal for someone to say to a sheriff that they lived

is it legal for someone to say to a sheriff that they lived in someone elses house with no real proof except a stolen key and have that sheriff guide this person through the house without any notice to the owner for entry nor owner being there?

Thank you for your question.

If the person entered the house illegally by misrepresenting their right to enter the house to the sheriff, then this would be illegal and would constitute trespassing. You could sue the person for trespass and for conversion for any of your property take or damaged.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,