Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

Marsha, Though I just moved to the state of Maryland for

Customer Question

Though I just moved to the state of Maryland for work but own a residence in Texas. I am currently renting in Maryland. Will I need to pay Maryland state taxes at the end of the year? My work is split in between Herndon, VA and Fort Meade, Maryland. I started my work on March 11th.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.
Hello again and thank you for the follow up question. Yes, unfortunately if you are working in Maryland, you will have to pay State taxes there for the period you work there. If your main office that you work out of is Maryland and you just go over to VA to do jobs, or the like, then it would all be Maryland. However, if your office is located in Virginia, then you will have to file in Virginia and Maryland. It is a mess. I lived in California, then moved to DC but worked in Maryland and had to file in all three "states" that year. Of course, you can't be double taxed, but the paper work is most definitely inconvenient.