TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

If you are seeing a doctor for seven years in a row. Is his

If you are seeing a doctor for seven years in a row. Is his staff required by law to demand that you give him a list of medication you are taking when that doctor is the one prescribing the medication that you are on?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

However, they'd be incredibly foolish not to ask for a list of medications.

VAMD, Esq. :

No, there is no such law.

VAMD, Esq. :

If they did not ask, and it turns out that you were on a medication that they were unaware of (let's say you took something over the counter, or that you got a prescription from a different doctor), then the doctor could end up prescribing something that he shouldn't have, or misdiagnosing something.

VAMD, Esq. :

That could ultimately lead to bad consequences for you as a patient, and it could lead to a lawsuit against the doctor.

VAMD, Esq. :

Accordingly, it is wise for the doctor's staff to ask for the list of medications.

Customer:

I went to the doctor and I stated on the request form that he was the one giving me the medication and all they had to do look it up in my records. they SAID it is a HIPPA law and until I complete the list the doctor will not see me and ask me to leave and come back when the list is complete.

VAMD, Esq. :

While it is not actually required by HIPAA, it is certainly the doctor's prerogative to refuse to see you until you provide the list of drugs, even if the list would only be comprised of the drugs that the doctor himself prescribed.

VAMD, Esq. :

My guess is that the doctor and his staff just say that the law requires it so that the law can be the scapegoat and patients do not get angry with them.

VAMD, Esq. :

But HIPAA does not require a patient to give a doctor a list of medication before the doctor can see the patient. That is simply not required.

VAMD, Esq. :

Does that answer your question?

TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law