How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do? Move for Declaratory Judgment? This is part of

Resolved Question:

What to do? Move for Declaratory Judgment? This is part of an ongoing saga of a municipal citation/trial gone bad. Was issued a municipal citation. Filed motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction. The court never called the motion, but instead assumed PJ (without saying a word) and moved into trial. Despite nonappearance by key "witness", was found guilty. Judge orally pronounced an erroneous sentence. Basically, sentence as pronounced was almost nil. Written judgment reflected same. Complete harmony between the two records. Clerk later noticed missing detail. Clerk sent letter "confirming" the missing details, apologizing for not including it in the paperwork at trial. Trouble is, judge never uttered such details (discretionary, exclusively the power of the judge). Clerk is denied even authority to correct a clerical error (see State of Wis v. Prihoda, Wis. Sup. Ct 2000).
Appeared before muni court to point this out. Judge pointed to the clerk's "confirmation" letter and declared that was the sentence. This is foolishness, however, as any clerk could then issue any "correction" at any time. What a mess!
What's my best course of action to get this corrected? Yes, the sentence was probably erroneous (incomplete)... but I satisfied the pronounced obligations TO THE LETTER.
So, in my mind, obligations were satisfied.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Thank you for your question.You stated that you have already appeared before the judge and he pointed to the clerk's letter and stated that this was in fact his sentence. However, it is your belief that the judge did not include this in his oral pronouncement of the sentence from the bench. Unfortunately, if there was no record of the oral sentencing, then the judge may reform the sentence by approval of the clerk's statement. Essentially, the judge is declaring that the sentence as stated on the clerk's letter is the sentence. Even if you appealled the sentence, it would be your word vs. the judges word, and the judge is the party which has the authority to sentence you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is certified written transcript of oral pronouncement of sentence. The written notice, created contemporaneously to oral pronouncement is in harmony with the transcript.
It is my understanding there are two - and only two - records of sentence: 1) the oral pronouncement (and transcript thereof) and 2) the written notice created created at the time (or soonest thereafter).
Those records both indicate the judge did not state the particular details. The judge knows this... I pointed out both records (transcript, written notice).

Time for appeal has tolled, I believe.

Again, in State (Wi) v. Prihoda, the Wis Sup Ct adopted the "brightline rule" that a clerk cannot correct a clerical error absent direction by the court. In this case, this "confirmation" letter is not even a correction of a clerical error - it is, in fact, a modification of sentence. It is my understanding this can be done only by the judge, only by order.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Ah, I did not know you had a written transcript of the oral order. So, when you went back to the court, you had a hearing under which you asked the judge to correct the written judgment, pointing to the transcript, and the judge refused and said that he is confirming the letter?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
How many days have passed since the written order was issued?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

roughly 800 (by written order, I shall assume you mean the written notice prepared as oral pronouncement was made on the record - since this undated "confirmation letter" lack any indication of an "order")

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
800 days have passed since the judgement.This is far to long ago to do anything about.There is a Motion Nunc Pro Tunc which you can file, but the time for doing this is within 30 days of the issuance of the judgment.You can also seek relief from the judgment becaus eof a mistake, but this must be within one year of the judgment being issued.The law treats this judgment as perfected and settled. There is no procedure which allows you at this point to go back and attempt to correct the error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This seems odd. The record is... the RECORD. I don't seek to correct the "record", but to simply cause the court's computer entries to conform to the actual official record. There is no Order correcting any error of omission... simply the court's computer records were altered by the clerk and the judge issued a warrant based on that inaccurate information. Even after I brought this to the judge's attention, he did nothing... no order to correct the record (to reflect what he claimed the sentence was to be - this strikes me as odd). Even today, the official records remain as they were.

No options?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
When an oral judgment is made from the bench and transcribed on the record, the clerk then renders the judgment into a written format which becomes the official judgment. The clerk then issues the judgment in its written format (i.e., publishes it) and this is the official document which is recorded in the court's computer system.

Once that written judgment is issued, the burden is on you to correct any mistakes in it within a set amount of time pursuant to the rules.

You did have options, but you did not exercise those options within the time allowed. Coming back now, several years later, is not allowed under the rules.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions